Today we have a special interview with Joo Yooncheol, director of the animated short 'ALLEGRO'. This energetic short film is a must see if you get the chance!
The film was recently screened with Gangster-fish film 'Padak' / 파닥파닥 on Thursday 2nd May. 'ALLEGRO' is an animated short about a courier who makes his deliveries by running on foot. But after having an accident he is forced to make deliveries with a car, that is until he comes across an ambulance carrying vital blood packs that is stuck in traffic.
1. How did you get into the film industry / Why did you get in to filmmaking?
<제가 경험하고, 생각하고,느낀 많은 것들을 여러 사람들과 공유하고 싶어서 입니다. >
I wanted to share many things I have experienced, thought and felt with many people.
2. What/Who inspires you as an artist?
Brad Bird and Byron Howard.
<Note: Brad Bird currently works alongside John Lasseter at Pixar and there he developed 'The Incredibles' (2004) and 'Ratatouille' (2007). Byron Howard is a supervising animator and director at Disney. He co-directed 'Bolt' (2008) and 'Tangled' (2010).>
3. Can you tell us more about your film? What made you want to tell such a story?
대학기숙사에서 택배가 오면 입구까지 받으러 가야 했는데 그게 귀찮아서 ‘택배 기사가 벽을 타고 올라와 창문으로 전달해 줬으면 좋겠다’ 라는 생각에서 이야기가 만들어지게 되었습니다. 그리하여 건물과 건물을 넘어 다니고 벽을 타며 프리러닝을 즐기는 택배기사 캐릭터가 만들어지게 되었습니다.
When I was in the boarding school, I had to go to the entrance to get my parcel. That was really annoying so I thought what if a delivery man gives me a parcel creeping up the wall?. That is why this movie and the character who enjoys free-running by jumping between buildings were made.
4. Are you excited to have an Australian screening at Cinema on the Park Korean Film Night in Sydney? How do you think the Australian audience will respond to the film?
많이 부족한 작품임에도 불구 하고 상영하게 되어 매우 영광스럽게 생각합니다. 저희 팀이 만든 작품을 관객 분들이 그저 재미있게 봐주셨으면 합니다.
I am very honoured that my movie will be screened even though it is not perfect. I hope the Australian audience will enjoy the movie.
5. What’s next for you? Do you have a project/study/work planned?
’Allegro’를 제작했던 팀원 들과 다음 작품을 제작중 입니다.
I have been preparing another movie with staff who produced 'Allegro' together.
6. How can people in Australia follow you? Eg. Twitter/Blog/Website/Vimeo?
I have a facebook account.
Look out for more exclusive interviews here on the KOFFIA blog in the near future! Thanks to KIAFA for making the interview possible.